Friday 11 March 2011

Review: Battle: Los Angeles

People "watching" an audio-decribed version of this film are gonna be so pissed at the redundant description of everything that happens. Shit, nothing annoys me more than when film characters tell me what I can see as plain as day with my own bloody eyes, as if I'm a complete idiot. And throughout a whole damn film. As if the filmmakers assume I'm going to miss something, that something's going to go right over my head. Because I couldn't possibly piece together an action flick with crappy dialogue and near non-existent character development all by myself.

This flick was awesome to behold. The action is superbly directed and just owns our eyeballs for the near two-hour stretch. But. There's nothing iconic to take away from the film. It feels like you've seen it all before, somewhere. So kudos to the filmmakers for their skills, but shame on them for their lack of creativity.

Sure, there are iotas of uniqueness planted amongst the frenetic grit of what is essentially a war film, including a few interesting weapons, a new take on the oft-interpreted hazard that is our mobile networks, and a fresh look at what our water could mean to life on other planets. But. Nothing that really grabs a guy hoping to be bowled over by what's been billed as a fresh look at the alien invasion genre which is really starting to wear thin.

Why oh why won't a studio step up and give us what we really want? We go to the cinema after all, in the hopes of seeing a spectacle unlike anything we've seen before. Not something that censors itself, in all likelihood as early as the writing stage.

Visual flair saved this movie. I'll probably watch it again a few years from now, but man, could these guys have been any more apathetic about their script? Could they have been any more allergic to ingenuity?

No comments:

Post a Comment