Monday 3 January 2011

The How About Project Part 1 (of 26)


Every other week, as a regular feature of this blog, I'm going to try recommending or be recommended by you via the comments section, three older films. They could be by a particular director, star a certain actor, be thematically similar, etc. The only catch is that every film has to be at least 20 years old, made before the 90s. The idea being to revisit a lot of great older movies, find reason to watch movies that I've never seen in totality or at all, and also to make this site more interactive and learn some stuff about you and get your recommendations.

For now I'm calling it The How About Project for lack of a better name. And the plan is to post for the project every other Monday, the reason being that it may take more than a week to find and watch the recommendations if they are indeed to be found, giving you and I enough time to also write about the three films. It'll be fun at the end of the year to summarize our findings as well, to see if we learned or didn't learn anything, to see if the project had some kind of effect on something or one or more of us.

So here's Part 1.

I remember taking my friend L-B to the Cinematheque in Seoul a number of years ago to see a Buster Keaton festival. After all, he's one of my all-time favourite movie stars/directors. And L-B had never seen a Keaton film. And I had never seen one on the big screen. Damn, was that fun. Three Ages was the film that tore us to pieces. I'll always remember L-B laughing her ass off.

The crime I've discovered since then, is that most of my friends and acquaintances have never seen a Buster Keaton flick. Which is probably the case with most people my age. The man was brilliant. No one pulls his kind of stunts anymore because Hollywood won't allow them. They are mind-boggling.

I digress. Here you go. My top 3 Buster Keaton "full-length" films (on top of Three Ages, because I'm a cheater) that you should find, watch, hopefully adore, and comment on:

3. Our Hospitality
2. Seven Chances
1. The General

Enjoy.

1 comment: